Monday, January 22, 2007

Blogging.

An hour before the next lesson begins. This semester is made up of long lectures and even longer breaks. But that is only for those who unfortunately landed in all the class Bs, of course. I was in Korea when the choosing of classes started, and by the time I got back, all the class As had already been filled up. Oh, woe to me.

I spent the last half an hour reading through some of our readings for this week. (One of the few merits of having long breaks: it pushes me to work.) It is fascinating to learn that blogs play a much bigger role in this "media-saturated" world, as Rebecca Blood puts it, than being just online personal diaries. "We are being pummeled by a deluge of data," she wrote, "and unless we create time and spaces in which to reflect, we will be left with only our reactions." My favourite line in her 28397678623 words article. So elegantly and aptly put forth is the need to write, a process which involves reflection and the structuring of thoughts. But we can hardly grow as writers and thinkers if we keep these reflections to ourselves. Blogging gives a whole new dimension to the idea of penning down random thoughts. Blogs allow us not only to think, structure our thoughts, pen it down, but also share it with the world. There, your thoughts can be built upon by thoughts of many others, to become a strong voice that commands attention and brings about change.

I blogged my first post 4 years ago, with no idea at all what to expect from blogging. Now I know, blogging makes me think, sharpens my writing skills and gives me a chance to tell the world how i feel =)

i do enjoy blogging.

oh gosh,
there's still another half an hour to class!
grr.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

Glad you enjoyed Rebecca Blood's reading. That piece is seminal to blogging. Blogging serves well as a muse, a way to form and structure our thoughts, and at the same time, share it with the world. It's really a swiss-army knife, with a double-edge sword inside for good measure. :)

Sy said...

yes, seminal indeed~! it is quite overwhelming to learn that bloggers have that much power to influence. i've got to learn how to use this power, so that good may come out of it.